Monday, October 17, 2011

I'm taking the Pledge

I know I shouldn't. I know it's terrible. I know there are always more sides to the story. But I judge. The baby in the stroller with the propped up bottle or the sugared donut? Yeah, I'm looking at you. The skanky looking girl at school? Yeah you. The preppy looking mamas in the school yard? Yep, you too.

It starts of simple enough. A side by side comparison. Me vs them. And it usually ends one of 2 ways - I'm bitter and depressed because I don't measure up or I'm smug and high-horsey because I make out smelling like roses.

And this needs to stop. Not only is it petty and mean, but it makes me paranoid. If I know I'm judging everyone else, then why wouldn't they be judging me?

So I'm taking the Mom Pledge. I am holding myself accountable, both online and in person. We are all doing the best we can, under the circumstances that are doled out, no matter what they might be. That baby with the bottle? Well maybe they were running late for an important appointment and it was the only way to feed the child and arrive on time. Or that donut or sugary treat was their first! Or a weekly treat. Or a reward. And I've gotten to know that girl at school. She's one of the smartest in her class. The preppy mamas? Well, ok, maybe they're putting on a show for everyone else because they feel judged when they show up in lulus. Or whatever.

It doesn't matter. It stops now.

Take the Pledge with me!

I am a proud to be a mom. I will conduct myself with integrity in all my online activities. I can lead by example.
I pledge to treat my fellow moms with respect. I will acknowledge that there is no one, "right" way to be a good Mom. Each woman makes the choices best for her family.
I believe a healthy dialogue on important issues is a good thing. I will welcome differing opinions when offered in a respectful, non-judgmental manner. And will treat those who do so in kind.
I stand up against cyber bullying. My online space reflects who I am and what I believe in. I will not tolerate comments that are defamatory, hateful or threatening.
I refuse to give those who attack a platform. I will remove their remarks with no mention or response. I can take control.
I want to see moms work together to build one another up, not tear each other down. Words can be used as weapons. I will not engage in that behavior.
I affirm that we are a community. As a member, I will strive to foster goodwill among moms. Together, we can make a difference.

BWS tips button

2 comments:

Elizabeth-FlourishInProgress said...

Wow. What a timely post. I needed this so much right now. I TOO am taking the pledge. I don't imagine that it will be easy to remember everything in the beginning, but I'm going to do it~~

Rainyday said...

Making a change is always hard. Deciding to do it and thinking about the reasons why goes a long way.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...