Saturday, June 27, 2009

Lacing up my running shoes

So I nearly went off my meds again this week, and it wasn't by choice! Wednesday night as I took my pill, I realized I'd forgotten to venture out with the hooligans, er, boys, to get my refill and I'd just taken the last pill. I was headed to visit my mom on Thursday, leaving early in the morning and not returning until well after midnight. So, after tucking Felix in for the night and Jay was well into the bedtime routine with Elliot, I put on my running shoes and set out.

Ahhhh running. How I have missed you! I started running on the treadmill at the gym in the months leading up to our wedding. I had worked up to being able to run for 30 minutes straight. I stuck with it, but when I became pregnant with Elliot, I decided to take a break. (Actually, that's not completely accurate. There was a pregnancy before Elliot. I kept up my usual routines: running several times per week, visiting my chiropractor, sleeping on my tummy... but I had an early miscarriage and although none of those things were at all likely to have contributed to it, I was v.e.r.y cautious.) And thus ended my relationship with my running shoes.

Fast forward 3 years. With 2 kids, running is going to be the fastest way to get in shape. I don't have much time to take care of myself, but need to make it a priority. I go to my Mommies in Motion exercise class (formerly Stroller Strides, but there were copyright issues) one a week. Usually we're late getting out of the house, so I run with the jogging stroller. Elliot laughs and encourages me "Faster, mama! Faster! Why are you stopping? Go fast!!!"

Ok... getting back on track: I headed out to the drug store around 8:30 Wednesday night. I ran most of the way there. I thought I was doing pretty good, until I'd get in between songs on my iPod and I could hear myself gasping. Funny, it didn't feel like I was all out of breath.

The pharmacist looked up my file and then said, "Actually, there are no more refills left on this prescription." I actually had a total 'WHAT - you've got to be shitting me' moment. My jaw must have dropped and that, combined with my red from exertion face (it was horrible - I caught a glimpse of my reflection on the way out the door) and my sucking in the air, quickly had her adding "But we can probably loan you a few to tide you over until you can get in to see your doctor." BIG relief. They loaned me six and I now have an appointment to get a refill on Tuesday. Phew!

It was getting dark when I left the drugstore. The air was very damp and misty. I didn't feel like running anymore, but imagined Jay at home with 2 screaming boys, so I decided I should pick up my feet. It's amazing how heavy and sore your legs can be at first. They were protesting the simple action of walking, and here I was prodding them to propel my body faster.

Within seconds of starting to run again, instinct took over and it felt totally natural. Everytime I'd slow to catch my breath, I could feel the aches and pains returning. Then I had to start all over again. But the wind in my face was refreshing. I love looking up as I run, watching the tree branches above me fly by. But that is how you fall into holes and smack into construction signs, so I don't do that anymore.

It was a good thing I ran home. Within 5 minutes of arriving, Felix was crying. It was a simple resettle, but I'm glad I was there for it.

1 comment:

Lila said...

Hi Amy,
I just discovered your blog. I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a crazy time with the two little ones. I can't imagaine how hard it must be to have two, it seriously takes ALL of my energy keeping up with Claire. This post however, makes me want to start running. Thanks for the inspiration. Lila

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...